How to clean and descale your electric kettle in just 3 easy steps?
An electric kettle is a handy kitchen appliance. It is a convenient way to boil water for your tea and other beverages. You might have noticed that after boiling water over and over again, a yucky white layer builds up at the bottom of your kettle. This is limestone that causes “kettle furring” or scaling. This buildup harms the kettle's heating process and even flakes your tea.
If you want to eradicate your kettle’s biggest enemy then keep reading because we are going to explain three easy methods to get rid of limestone in your kettle.
1. Using Vinegar Solution is the Best Idea
Here is how you can use the vinegar solution to clean the buildup limestone in your kettle:
- Take equal parts of water and vinegar and mix them up. Fill the kettle around halfway with a water-vinegar solution. Vinegar helps to descale your kettle.
- Turn on the kettle and bring the solution to a boil to clean the inside of your kettle and remove all the buildup limestone.
- If the limestone buildup is bad then increase the amount of vinegar in the mixture and boil it again.
- Turn off the kettle and let the solution soak inside for about 20 minutes or so. After 20 minutes, pour out the water-vinegar solution. If the scaling is worse, let the mixture be in the kettle for a longer time period.
- If the limestone is really bad at the bottom, take a non-metallic sponge or a damp piece of cloth and scrub the inside of the kettle. Rinse with water multiple times to remove the vinegar smell.
2. Lemon Solution brings Freshness
- Some manufacturers do not allow the use of vinegar to clean the kettle. If that is the case with your kettle, you can use the lemon solution.
- Squeeze a lemon into water and then cut a few slices of lemon and place them in solution.
- Pour the mixture into the kettle. Boil it and let it sit for about an hour.
- Take out the solution and rinse the kettle with clean water.
- Limes can also be used if you don’t have any lemons.
3. Baking Soda is yet another Solution
Baking soda is another alternative to clean your electric kettle for good. Here is how you can clean it with baking soda:
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with water.
- Pour the solution into your kettle and bring it to boil.
- Take out the solution and rinse the kettle with cold water.
- This process will remove the buildup limestone scaling.
Cleaning Tips for Outer Surface of Kettle
Dish Soap – to clean the outer surface of your kettle, you can use the dish soap. Wash the outside with soap and wipe it down with a damp cloth. Don’t let any soap inside your kettle. Repeat this process every week or so.
Olive Oil – if you have a stainless-steel electric kettle then using olive oil to clean the outer surface is the best idea. Place some oil on a soft cloth and rub it on to the surface to get a shiny outer look. Make sure to clean the surface gently to avoid any scratches.
Easy, right? Use these easy hacks and keep your Reason kettle working for a longer period of time. If you don't have one, just order it online from our website and enjoy free home delivery.